Monday, March 30, 2009

1/2 Marathon



This is Will...wanting to brag about my wife!
THE EVENT:
So, Becky, the dedicated, committed, runner decides in January to run a 1/2 marathon by March.  For all those who know Becky, she LOVES the warm weather.  If it is not 95+ degrees...she is cold.  When we moved to Utah December 29th, there was over a foot of snow and the average temperature is about 29 degrees.  When most of us would roll over and push snooze at 5 AM (and the temperature outside is 17 degrees), Becky would get up, get ready for a run...beanie and gloves, and head out into the frigid winter morning to run 5, 6, 7+ miles.  Several times during her training, she would come back covered in snow.  These were the warmer mornings, usually around 30 degrees so it can snow.  Need I say more about dedication.  
THE TRAINING:
Her training was going very well until about 3 weeks before the event.  Becky was on an 11 mile run when she came home, nearly in tears from pain in her knee.  She was gone nearly 2 hours and I had figured she was having a great run.  Her knee had given up on her from IT Band tendinitis.  She really had to back off on her training and did everything she could to treat it.  Even the night before the race she was worried it would not hold up.  She is committed.  
RACE DAY:
Race morning was a frigid 30 degrees with winds 10-30 mph.  It was cold and windy!  No fear, my dedicated, committed runner of a wife would not have it any other way.  She trained to hard to give in to knee pain, cold temperatures, and wind.  We cheered her on at 5 different locations along the course.  She looked great and finished with a great time.  It was so exciting to see her complete a goal she set for herself 3 months before.  I am so proud of her!
POST RACE:
It is now Monday, 2 days after the race.  Becky went to aerobics this AM and is wanting to go on a run tomorrow...need I say more?!?! 
I have a wonderful wife who teaches me the value of hard work and dedication.  Great lessons are learned when we persevere through difficulties and trials.  In the end, we receive a greater reward. 
 

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Go Becky! Will has made my mind up for me to never run in the cold. That sounds awful, but you did it great job.

Race Fam said...

Great job Becky!!

Elder Larson said...

O.K. I should not have fallen asleep before Will last night! I never do!! I don't think I'll ever blog about his triathlons again!!! EMBARRASSING!! I would delete this whole entry, but he apparently worked so hard at it! Thanks Will! Love you! :0) I will just have to update our blog a little so this is not the first entry on here!!!!
Thanks Lisa and Kristin. :0)

Krissi said...

WOW! You Rock! Your way more dedicated then I could ever be. I'm a total gym rat and as far as running in the snow. UMMM NO WAY! Also never, ever, ever delete a compliment. It is awesome that your husband is so proud of you. Remind me again what day we were suppose to do dinner and where?

Janna said...

Wow Becky!!! I'm so impressed! And what a sweet post! Are you coming to Bakersfield for the triathlon? You can't miss that!!!

Amy said...

Becky, that is so awesome!! I can't believe you did all your training in the freezing cold. How do you get your body to even move when it's that cold. I'm glad that your knee held up for you. That is frustrating to get so close to a goal and have something like a knee injury try to ruin your dream. So sign ups for the St. George Marathon start tomorrow. I think you should go represent us at that race:) You would do great!! So when is it that you guys are coming here?

Wendi said...

Congratulations again Becky! I'm so proud of you! I still can't believe I didn't even know you were training for this! Great job! And tell Will I think it's totally adorable that he wrote this post for you! So sweet!!